Legal Definition and Related Resources of Caption
Synonyms and Definition Contents
- Legal Definition and Related Resources of Caption
- Meaning of Caption
- Caption Alternative Definition
- (1) A taking, or seizing; an arrest. The word is no longer used in this sense. (2) The heading of a legal instrument in which is shown when, where, and by what authority it was taken, found, or executed. Principally used in respect to indictments. See, as to requisites, 8 Gray (Mass.) 454; 1 South. (N. J.) 46. This meaning, now the general one, is not justified by the derivation, which is from capere, to take, and not from caput, a head. In the English practice, when an inferior court, in obedience to the writ of certiorari, returns an indictment into the king\’s bench, it is annexed to the caption, then called a “schedule,” and the caption concludes with stating that “it is presented in manner and form as appears in a certain indictment thereto annexed,” and the caption and indictment are returned on separate parchments. 1 Wm. Saund. 309, note 2.
- Caption Legal Definition
- Synonyms of Caption
- Related Entries of Caption in the Encyclopedia of Law Project
- Caption in Historical Law
- Vocabularies (Semantic Web Information)
- Articles found in Internet
Meaning of Caption
The introduction of a pleading which shows the names of the parties , name of court , number of docket or calendar , etc. St. Louis Lightning Rod Co. v Johnson, 89 S.E. 169, 18 Ga.App. 190.
Caption Alternative Definition
Caption Legal Definition
The heading or introductory clause of papers connected with a case in court, which shows the names of the parties, name of the court, docket number of the case, etc.
Synonyms of Caption
- banner head
- banner line
- display line
- indication of contents
- mark of identification
- section head
- Associated Concepts: caption of a petition
- caption of a pleading
- caption of indictment
Related Entries of Caption in the Encyclopedia of Law Project
Browse or run a search for Caption in the American Encyclopedia of Law, the Asian Encyclopedia of Law, the European Encyclopedia of Law, the UK Encyclopedia of Law or the Latin American and Spanish Encyclopedia of Law.
Caption in Historical Law
You might be interested in the historical meaning of this term. Browse or search for Caption in Historical Law in the Encyclopedia of Law.
For more information about Historical Law definitions, see Historical Definitions in the Encyclopedia of Law. For more information about Historical Law Books and Legal Documents, see Legal Encyclopedia of Historical Books and Documents and Legal Encyclopedia of Books and Documents of the 20th Century.
Legal Abbreviations and Acronyms
Search for legal acronyms and/or abbreviations containing Caption in the Legal Abbreviations and Acronyms Dictionary. The Legal Abbreviations and Acronyms Dictionary entries include explanations of the context of abbreviations or acronyms as well as the direct meaning.
Related Legal Terms
You might be also interested in these legal terms:
Mentioned in these terms
What does Caption mean in American Law?
The “heading” of a legal instrument, especially a pleading, motion, etc., consisting of information useful for quickly identifying and using it, e.g., parties, file number, court, nature of document, etc. The rules about what should be in a caption vary, even locally, from jurisdiction to jurisdiction; see, e.g., Fed. R. Civ. P. 10(a).
You might be interested in these references tools:
|Caption in the Dictionary||Caption in our legal dictionaries||Browse the Legal Thesaurus||Find synonyms and related words of Caption|
|Legal Maxims||Maxims are established principles that jurists use as interpretive tools, invoked more frequently in international law|
|Legal Answers (Q&A)||A community-driven knowledge creation process, of enduring value to a broad audience|
|Related topics||Caption in the World Encyclopedia of Law|
All the vocabularies in the Lawi Project are classified by type and subject domain. The purpose of Vocabularies is to facilitate the search and finding of the content by the use of controlled/code lists or controlled subject vocabularies. For browsing, select any type of vocabulary.
|Classification System||Principle-based method of organization.|
|Legal Index||Detailed list of terms describing the content|
|Ontology||A set of types, properties and relationships, using open vocabularies|
|Synonym Ring||Retrieval-equivalent group of terms|
|Subject Headings List||Alphabetical list with cross-references|
|Taxonomy||Hierarchical collection of controlled vocabulary terms|
|Thesaurus||A structured controlled vocabulary|
|Topic Map||A group of names, occurrences and associations|
|Topic Tree||A topic display format, showing the hierarchy|
|Sitemap Index||Sitemap Index, including Taxonomies|
|http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption/||The URI of Caption (more about URIs)|
English Spanish Translation of Caption
Título del expediente judicial
Find other English to Spanish translations from the Pocket Spanish English Legal Dictionary (print and online), the English to Spanish to English dictionaries (like Caption) and the Word reference legal translator.
Articles found in InternetA | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Cite this entryLegal Citations Generator
|(2014, 08). Caption legaldictionary.lawin.org Retrieved 03, 2015, from http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption|
|"Caption" legaldictionary.lawin.org. 08 2014. 03 2015 <http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption>|
|"Caption" legaldictionary.lawin.org. legaldictionary.lawin.org, 08 2014. Web. 03 2015. <http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption>|
|"Caption" legaldictionary.lawin.org. 08, 2014. Accesed 03 2015. http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption|
|Asian Law, 'Caption' (legaldictionary.lawin.org 2014) <http://legaldictionary.lawin.org/caption> accesed 2015 March 5|
- Article Name: Caption
- Author: Asian Law
- Description: The introduction of a calendar , etc. St. Louis Lightning Rod Co. v Johnson, 89 S.E. 169, 18 Ga.App. 190.
This entry was last modified: August 11, 2014